Monday, September 9, 2013

Workin' on Some Fine Motor Skills...

Fine motor....what can I say about it?? Well, my own child struggles with it, he's got so much inside his little head and trust me there is no problem verbalizing...but those little fingers of his struggle to get his point across on paper.
 
So while I've been working with him at home, I've been thinking of fun ways to integrate fine motor skills into my academic centers...Here's are some of the things I am trying...

1. Have student hold the pencil in the correct grip...with the remaining fingers that are not gripping the pencil have them hold a soft pompom against their palm.
2. Have student practice writing with chalk...they can feel the motion a little more while forming the letters/shapes/numbers.
3. Write with the paper elevated on some type of ramp.
4. Use LOTS and LOTS of playdough...its exercise for those lil' fingers!

Gel Bags...simple and cheap!  Fill up quart size bag with hair gel (from Dollar Tree...) zip it closed and reinforce with duct tape!  I'm lovin' all the precious duct tape available....
 
Pinning Letters
I found giant push pins at Hobby Lobby and I cut out some cardboard...because I didn't have sample carpet squares...but that would work, too!  Then I made a letter and sound association push pin station. You can bet those little fingers had to work hard to finish this!
 
We are also working on sorting shapes...
 
I also made a cute little shape pumpkin craft...the first two followers to comment will get the pumpkin craft and the shape sorting activity above for FREE!

 
Have a great week!
Brandy Nicole



4 comments:

Melissa said...

Such a great idea to teach with shapes.

Buffalobills8293@yahoo.com

Cherie said...

Too cute!

Cheriemae@gmail.com

learningmyself said...

Wow! what super cute ideas!! Thanks for sharing! Amy :)

Rae said...

So cute! I love it! I'm so glad I've found your blog - I too am a special educator! I'm looking forward to future posts as your newest follower :)

Rae
Mindful Rambles

Post a Comment